Last year was the first year that I put in a garden. I learned so much and I wanted log my events this year as what I'm calling, "my first veggie garden" because last year was really a learning experience and this year I'm concentrating on getting more VEGGIES and actually gardening.
2-1-2011 was 70 degrees in Georgia, so I prepped my 6x6 garden. I cleaned out the old stuff, tilled everything over, added 1 large bag of manure, 1# of lime and 2# 10-10-10 (or weed and feed). I took my soil to the extension office last year. Didn't this year, but added in the same amounts as they told me last year. In Georgia, we need to add lime. I also added sand to my garden last year to help loosen the clay. Glad I did!! It is so much easier to work with! I also built the 6x6 wooden frame last year. It's a great size and don't really have a problem moving around in the garden. The square foot garden book was my guide last year and STRONGLY recommend it. Although, I think a 4x4 garden (which they recommended) seems to small and seemed more efficient to make a 6x6 garden for the time and cost of products.
I didn't get many weeds in the spring but had a lot in the summer. Thought it is better to take care of them before they become a problem so I used weed and feed. It is more expensive, and I may not use it in the larger garden. I guess this is a good time to mention, that I do not have an organic garden. I'm trying to do the best of both worlds. As little chemicals as needed with a lot of TLC. My main focus is producing food and I figure, If I get more food by using a few chemicals that at least I will not be purchasing the foods from the grocery store which has more chemicals.
Last year I only gardened in my 6x6 garden. I did put in a 15x4 garden last year but it wasn't really used. I plan on doubling that in a couple weeks when he weather gets better with the help of my 2 sons (they don't know it yet). I plan to start planting soon. In Georgia you can plant seeds as early as mid January.
TIP - make sure at get your state extension office planting guide. Last year, I missed putting in my entire spring crop because I planted way too late!!
No comments:
Post a Comment